Need to get started quickly? The guide below will walk you through the basics of what you need to do to get off to a smooth start in Lumen OHM.
GETTING STARTED WITH LUMEN OHM
This guide helps you start using and building courses with Lumen Online Homework Manager (OHM). To begin, you’ll need an instructor account. Request your OHM instructor account here: ohm.lumenlearning.com/ohm/newinstructor
CREATE A COURSE
When you create a new course, you may start with either a blank course or a template course which includes text and other instructional materials, computer graded homework, and some instructor resources.
- Use your instructor credentials to log into ohm.lumenlearning.com.
- Click on the “Add New Course” button located on the home page.
- Enter a course name.
- Set permissions as well as other features like LatePasses and Messaging.
- At the bottom of the page, select whether to start with a blank course or select content from a template course. You can view available template courses in the drop-down menu.
- Click “Submit” to create your course.
- To modify these settings at a later time, click on “Settings” in the course home page to return to them.
ADD OR COPY COURSE CONTENT
To add content, you may add original material or you may add parts from other courses created in the OHM community.
COPY CONTENT FROM OTHER COURSES
From inside your course:
- In the left-hand navigation, go to Course Items. Click on “Copy.”
- Select the course you want to copy from. You can browse from your own courses, your group’s courses, template courses, and the broader community.
- Click “Select Course Items” at the bottom of the course list.
- Choose whether to copy the whole course or select specific items to copy.
- Click “Copy Items.”
- Repeat this process for copying from other courses as desired.
ADD NEW CONTENT
On the course home page, use the drop-down menu “Add An Item” to add additional content:
Use this tool to create a new homework, quiz, activity, or test
- First, create the assessment summary, instruction, options and advanced options. When complete, click the “Create Assessment” button at the bottom of the page.
- Add questions by searching for questions in the library.
- New questions can be created and added by selecting the “Add New Question” button.
- Assessments may also be copied and edited by selecting the gear icon and then the “Copy” link from the course home page.
ADD INLINE TEXT
Use this tool to add notes, instructions, learning outcomes, links to videos, links to external websites, or attach files.
Blocks allow you to group content items such as readings, assessments, and video links.
MODIFY CONTENT: QUICK REARRANGE
“Quick Rearrange” is particularly useful for reordering and deleting course content.
- Click on “Quick Rearrange,” located at the top right of the home page.
- To reorder content blocks (modules), click “Collapse All” and then drag and drop as desired.
- To move items from one block (module) to another, click on “Expand All” and then drag and drop as desired.
- From this view, you can also click into content blocks to modify, copy, delete, and so on.
MODIFY CONTENT: GEAR ICON
The gear icon is particularly useful for fine-tuning content. It allows you to access and adjust features for each item in your course. Each content item in OHM has features that can be customized. This guide focuses on how to modify assessments (for problem sets, quizzes, etc.).
Click on the gear icon next to the assessment. From the dropdown menu, you have several features you may access:
Here you can add, edit, or delete questions from your assessment. The top portion of the page shows which questions are in the assessment.
- To delete a question in the assessment, click on “Remove.”
- To make a new copy of an existing assessment question, click on “Template.”
- To edit a question, click on “Edit.” The lower portion of the page allows for searching for potential questions.
- To restrict your search to specific topic libraries, click on “Select Libraries” and check the topics you would like to browse.
- To search for specific phrases, type the desired phrase into the search box.
- If you want to search all libraries, check the “Search all libs” box.
- Click on “Search” to generate your list of potential questions.
Searchbox method works great for unique phrases that clearly define a problem or concept.
Here you may configure your assessment settings such as:
- Late passes for homework extensions
- Due dates and available dates
- Answer key options ( show after due date, show after submission)
- Gradebook options (point totals, extra credit)
- Group assessment options and settings
- Password requirement or time limit
Are you copying last term’s materials over and need to adjust due dates? Use Mass Change “Time Shift” to shift due dates to the next term. This is located on the course home page in the left menu.
You may manually override scores and go through student answers one by one for each question on the assessment. Also, you may view detailed item analysis for student performance. This includes:
- Average Score Attempted
- Average Attempts
- % Incomplete
- Time per student per attempt
- % Clicked on Help
SET UP GRADEBOOK
To manage the gradebook settings, click on “Gradebook” located in the header of the course. Then click on “GB Settings.” You may alter many settings including:
- Calculate total using: Points earned/possible or category weights.
- Adding categories (which may be used to record grades for both online and offline activities)
- Scaling options
- Lowest or highest drop options
- Adjust fixed category point total or category weights.
STUDENT ENROLLMENT & ACCESS
LMS INTEGRATED OHM
If your institution is using Lumen OHM integrated into your learning management system (LMS), your students do not need to register for OHM.
To activate the course link to OHM, instructors must click on any OHM assessment within the LMS and log in to OHM when prompted. Once the student has access to the course in their LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, etc.), students may access materials.
DIRECT LOG-IN TO OHM WEBSITE
If your students will access the course materials by logging directly into the OHM website, they will have to enroll in the course from ohm.lumenlearning.com, To do this, instructors must provide a Course ID and Enrollment Key.
You may find the Course ID and Enrollment Key by clicking on the “Course Settings” in the left-hand navigation; instructors may create or modify their Enrollment Key in this screen if desired. Students follow steps from the OHM login page to create an account and enter the Course ID and Enrollment Key to complete enrollment.
Lumen OHM is always optimized for the latest and second-latest versions of the major browsers. To check whether your browser is up to date, visit whatismybrowser.com Cookies should be enabled. No plugins are required.