Waymaker allows faculty to assign participation grades to Study Plans. As students work through the self checks in the study plan their participation will be recorded and, if grade passback is enabled (see below), pass the participation back to the grade book.
The Graded Participation in Waymaker video walks you through this newly added feature.
This guide answers the following questions about graded participation:
- How is participation calculated?
- How do I set points possible for participation in each Study Plan?
- Where can I see a breakdown of my students' participation?
- Is participation impacted by how many questions the student gets right/wrong on the self check?
- Do I need a new cartridge in order to use this feature?
- Which courses is graded participation available in?
- How do I check if my course has grade passback enabled for participation?
- Student participation isn't showing up in my gradebook, why?
- Why are all of the study plans in my course assignment items?
- I want to one overall class grade for participation rather than having individual grades for each study plan, can I do this?
How is participation calculated?
Participation for each study plan is calculated by how many self check students have completed (end to end) out of the total available in that study plan.
Participation for a self check will be granted the first time the student completes the activity end to end, and will be granted only once. Student’s can take the self checks as many times as they like. How they do overall on the self checks won’t in any way impact their grade.
As the student works through the self checks in a study plan Waymaker tracks, records and passes back (if enabled) their percentage completion. When Waymaker passes the percentage completion back to the gradebook this will be applied by the LMS to the grade column setup you have for that study plan item (see setting points possible for participation).
Breakdowns of a students graded participation score are viewable in the Faculty Tools (see viewing graded participation).
How do I set points possible for participation in each Study Plan?
By default Study Plans will come into your course with a grade value of 5 points, but just like with Waymaker quizzes, you can use your LMS to set the point value for the Study Plan items in your grade book to any value you like.
Waymaker will simply passback a completion percentage and your LMS will appropriately apply this to the point value that you have set.
Information about configuring grades in your LMS can be found here:
- D2L Brightspace:
- Go into your course grade book
- Find the grade columns named "Study Plan:" followed by the module name, for e.g. Study Plan: Psychological Research
- For each Study Plan grade item click on the down arrow next to the column name
- Click on the Edit menu option
- On the Edit Item page that opens scroll down to the Grading section
- Click the check box for "Exclude from Final Grade Calculation"
- Click on Save and Close at the bottom of the screen
Where can I see a breakdown of my students' participation?
Faculty can view student participation on the Student Histories page in the Faculty Tools.
- Visit the Faculty Tools page under the Faculty Resources module in your course.
- Click on the View Histories link
- You can view all student Waymker grades in a spreadsheet by clicking on the download student grades button in the top right corner. This will download a .csv file that can then be imported into excel or google sheets.
- You can view the breakdown of individual students participation from the Student Profile View. You can get there by clicking on the name of the student you're interested in.
- From the Student Profile page you will be able to expand each module to see which self checks the student has completed, and how that determines the percentage completion assigned as their participation score.
- Once expanded you will be able to see each self check for that module (study plan), whether it was completed or not, when it was completed, and how much it counts as a relative percentage of overall study plan completion.
Is participation impacted by how many questions the student gets right/wrong on the self check?
No, how a student does on the self check in no way impacts their participation grade. Participation is only determined by end to end completion of the self checks.
Students can take a self check as many times as they like, but their participation for that self check will only be counted once the first time they complete it.
Do I need a new cartridge in order to use this feature?
Graded participation is also only available in newer versions of Waymaker courses (see supported course versions below). If you are on an older Lumen course version, and want participation to post back to the gradebook automatically you will need a new cartridge.
Graded participation was released on May 4th, 2020. Any new course cartridges generated and delivered after that date will automatically have graded participation enabled.
For pre-existing courses (courses created before May 2020) or course copies made from pre-existing courses:
In Canvas, Blackboard and Moodle Faculty will be able to view and export students’ participation grades (see viewing participation) for any courses created as a copy from an existing supported course without needing a new cartridge. However due to structural LMS constraints these courses will not be able to do automatic grade passback for participation.
For D2L users graded participation will not be available at all without importing a new course cartridge.
If your existing course is a supported course version we may be able to help you convert your study plan items to enable grade passback for participation, without needing to import a whole new cartridge (Canvas, Moodle of Blackboard only).
For help with a new cartridge or converting supported courses to enable grade passback contact us on email@example.com.
Which courses is graded participation available in?
Graded participation is only available in later versions of Lumen courses. Click here to see the list of courses that have Graded Participation available.
Graded participation will also be available in any course version released after May 4th, 2020. If your course version is one of courses listed above or ends in a digit 20 or greater, for e.g. Computer Apps for Managers - S20, your course supports grade passback for participation.
You can check which course version you are on by:
- Clicking into the Faculty Tools page under the Faculty Resources module in your course.
- The course version is displayed in the top left corner of the header bar.
How do I check if my course has grade passback enabled for participation?
You can check if your course is enabled for grade passback by going into your gradebook and looking to see if the gradebook contains Study Plan item columns.
Grade items that start with "Study Plan: " followed by the module name (for e.g. Study Plan: Psychological Research) indicate that your Waymaker course is tracking and will passback grades to the LMS.
If your course is not enabled for grade passback, and you want to use participation, there are a few possible reasons why this may be the case. Please use the section below to determine why participation isn't available in your course, and then contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you get graded participation working.
Student participation isn't showing up in my gradebook, why?
There are three possible reasons why participation may not be showing up in your gradebook:
- You are on an unsupported course version (see supported course versions) .
- Your course was created before the feature release and you need a new cartridge (see do I need a new cartridge) .
- There is a problem with the assignment settings, preventing Waymaker from doing grade passback.
If you think that your course should have graded passback available but doesn't you can use this short process to troubleshoot your grade issue:
- Go into the Faculty Tools page under the Faculty Resources module in your course
- Click on the View Histories link
- Check to see if there is a column called Average Participation Score in the Student Histories table. Note: This table will only be visible if at least one student in your class has clicked into Waymaker.
- If the Average Participation Score column does not exist, but there is other data, then your course version likely does not support graded participation. Contact us on email@example.com for more information and help getting a course cartridge that supports graded participation.
- If the Average Participation Score column does exist check to see if there are any student grades in this column.
- If there are no grades then your students just haven't started taking self checks yet. Students need to complete the Self Check end to end in order to get the participation grade, that means clicking the final submit button on the Self Check. If your students are reporting an issue you may want to confirm that they are submitting their self checks.
- If grades exist but there is nothing in your gradebook then it is possible that evaluation had been disabled or some other issue is preventing Waymaker from passing the grade back to your LMS successfully. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org and our team will work to troubleshoot & resolve this issue with you.
Why are all of the study plans in my course assignment items?
Due to LMS constraints Waymaker can only do grade passback on items that are assignments. In order to be able to passback participation grades the Study Plans needed to become assignment items.
If you would prefer not to have participation grades passed back automatically you can change your Study Plans so that they no longer have a grade associated with them (see turning off graded participation).
I want one overall class grade for participation rather than individual grades for each study plan, can I do this?
Unfortunately due to LMS constraints the only way Waymaker can passback participation grades to the LMS is via individual study plan assignments items.
If you would prefer to have a single participation grade you can disable grade passback on the individual Study Plan items (see turning off graded participation), and then use the student grade export in the faculty tools (see viewing participation above) to calculate a single participation grade for each student and enter that grade into your gradebook manually.
I don't want to use participation, can I change the Study Plans to be ungraded?
Yes, just like with Waymaker quizzes you can control if the Study Plan counts for grades or not via your LMS gradebook.
For instructions on how to remove the grade associated with the Study Plan items please click on the name of your LMS below to expand the instructions for that LMS.
Canvas For each study plan:
Blackboard For each Study Plan:
Brightspace D2L Coming Soon.
Moodle. Coming Soon.
Licenses and Attribution: