Guide: Getting Students Started with Waymaker
What Is Waymaker?
Waymaker digital courseware combines open educational resources (OER) with personalized learning tools and analytics designed to continuously improve learning. Waymaker courses provide students with personalized study plans and interactive activities to practice and apply their learning. Research shows Waymaker’s evidence-based learning design (including its time-saving messaging tools) can increase student engagement and success.
Student Access & Payment
Students access Waymaker course materials through your learning management system (LMS) from the first day of class. When they go to your LMS course website, the Waymaker course modules should be visible to your students.
Students may pay the support fees for Lumen course materials either using a credit card within the courseware or by purchasing an activation code via your institution’s bookstore. The support fee enables access to all graded quizzes throughout the course. Without the activation code, students may view complete instructional content, but they will not be able to take graded quizzes.
Special pricing and payment terms may apply to some institutions, including making Lumen course materials available at no cost to students. Feel free to contact Lumen’s support team (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions about pricing, payment, or student access.
Tips for Faculty
Follow these tips to ensure a smooth and successful start for your students. Questions? Contact email@example.com and we’re happy to help!
- If your students will pay using activation codes, make sure your campus bookstore has everything they need to list your Waymaker course materials as a required material and to sell activation codes.
- When you’re setting up the course, be sure to turn on the Automated Messaging tools (hint: Here’s how). These tools save time by helping you identify and reach out to students when they can most benefit from your help and encouragement. Research shows just turning on these tools will increase average quiz scores!
- On your syllabus, list your Waymaker course as a required material and let students know they need to purchase access either with a credit card inside the courseware or by buying an activation code from your campus bookstore. View sample syllabus language
- Familiarize yourself with the student experience by reading the Student Guide: Getting Started with Waymaker or watching the Student Video: Getting Started with Waymaker (both are below). Then download the guide and share it with your students (video link on guide but also below for reference)
- Take a moment with your students to show them how to use the study plan, practice questions and quizzes to test their knowledge and improve their learning. This step can help students establish good study habits to help them succeed in this course and beyond.
We’ve worked hard to make it intuitive and simple for students to use Lumen course materials. If unanticipated issues arise, students will come to you for help. Don’t worry: you can reach us as usual through our support portal, support.lumenlearning.com.
The link to download the Student Guide is just below.