Using Waymaker's messaging tools is like having a digital assistant that tells you know which students need help and sends routine messages on your behalf.
Messaging Tools Overview and Setup
Waymaker's messaging tools help faculty quickly and easily provide help and encouragement to students. Students perform better and feel more engaged when instructors use these tools. To use messaging tools, you must configure them for each course section.
Automated messages are sent by Waymaker on behalf of the instructor to coach students on better study skills or congratulate them on good performance.
Notifications are sent to instructors when students are trying but struggling; instructors may opt tto send recommended messages to offer help.
Accessing & Configuring the Messaging Tools
You can set up and customize Waymaker’s messaging tools from the Faculty Tools dashboard area. Once students are active in your course, you can return to this area to view students’ quiz histories and act on recommendations to reach out to struggling students.
- When the Waymaker package is imported into your LMS direct to the content. (Note: In Blackboard this would be on the left hand dashboard as the course title name)
- To get to Faculty Tools: Go to the “Faculty Resources” module inside your course (in your LMS).
- Click on the “Waymaker Faculty Tools” link.
- Once inside the Faculty Tools you can configure the messaging by either using the quick setup or going through the full communication setup process which allows you to configure your preferences and modify your signature and the message templates. Both options are detailed below.
Quick Setup for Automated Messages
“Quick Setup” activates Waymaker’s automated messages in two simple steps, although it sidesteps the process of choosing the messages you want to send and customizing their wording.
- To quickly turn on the automated messages, do these steps:
From “Faculty Tools,” in the “Auto Messages Quick Setup” box, select the name of the instructor from whom messages should be sent.
- In the “Auto Messages Quick Setup” box, click the toggle to turn automated messages on.
- Students will now receive automated good work and study tip messages from the messaging instructor. You can see a log of messages that were sent by the system on behalf of the instructor by visiting the messaging log screen by clicking on the "View automated messages sent" link.
Full Setup: Customize Notification Preferences and Messaging
If you want to select which messages Waymaker sends and customize the wording to fit your own voice and instructional style, take these steps.
You also use these steps to modify the email address Waymaker uses to send messages out in your name, as well as your email signature in Waymaker messages.
- From “Faculty Tools,” click on “Set Up Communication” in the top menu bar on the right.
- Click on “Configure Waymaker” at the bottom of the page.
- The setup wizard will walk you through five short steps to set up your communication and notification preferences: including selecting and customizing the template messages Waymaker uses to send messages to your students on your behalf.