1. Generate Lumen OHM Course Cartridge
Goal: Set up the course in Lumen OHM so that it can be linked to Canvas via LTI.
From the home page of the Lumen OHM course:
- Choose: Export
- Choose Do not include App Configuration.
- Choose Download Export Cartridge (this file will be placed in your downloads folder)
2. Import Lumen OHM Course Cartridge into a Canvas Course
Canvas Integration - Using Import
To import the cartridge in Canvas:
- Go to Settings, then Import Course Content
- For Content Type, select Canvas Course Export Package. Select the export file from your computer, and select All Content. Click Import.
- If you have a global college-wide key and secret, you do not need to set up a course-level configuration.
Next you will need to establish the connection between your Lumen OHM course and Canvas course
- In Canvas, click one of the assessment links in your course.
- If this is your first time using this key and secret, Lumen OHM will ask you, the teacher, to sign into your Lumen OHM account. This is necessary to establish a connection between your LMS account and your Lumen OHM account. You will not need to do this step again, and students will not be asked to sign in and will not need a Lumen OHM account.
- Follow the prompts to associate the LMS course with your existing Lumen OHM course or create a copy.
- Once complete, all the LTI links in your LMS should work.
- Be aware:
- Links, files, forums, and and text items were imported into your LMS. Changing them in Lumen OHM will not change them in your LMS
- If you change assessment settings or the questions in an assessment in Lumen OHM, those changes will show up when the assessment is launched from the LMS
- If you change due dates in Lumen OHM, they will be enforced by Lumen OHM, but the due dates in the LMS will not automatically be updated. However, there is a course setting to allow Canvas to set the due dates in Lumen OHM.
- Any new items added in Lumen OHM, including new assessments, will not automatically show up in the LMS; you would need to repeat the export/import process.
- If configured, grades will be sent from Lumen OHM to the LMS immediately every time the student completes a question, but the LMS may delay updating the grade.
Note: When configuring a course-level configuration, the use of a key in the form
LTIkey_###_1 is recommended. With this type of key, students will not have or need a username for Lumen OHM, and they must access assignments via the LMS. This is usually desired when doing integration, and is necessary to ensure grades are passed from Lumen OHM back to the LMS. If, however, you are not interested in grade return, and simply want to provide single-signon from your LMS into Lumen OHM while allowing direct login to Lumen OHM as well, then you can use a key of the form
LTIkey_###_0 instead. This will require students to have or create an account on Lumen OHM, which they'll have to log into once to establish the connection.
3. Establishing your identity in Lumen OHM through Canvas
Goal: Allow Lumen OHM to associate you with the correct course when you access through a Canvas Course.
- Navigate to one of your Graded Assignments
- You will see a Lumen OHM login prompt: enter your credentials
- You will then be asked to choose whether Lumen OHM makes a new copy of the course you have linked to Canvas, or if you want to use the existing one.
- If you are working from a Canvas course copy you taught from previously, choose “Create a Copy.”
- If this is the first time you have used this course in Canvas, you can choose “Associate this LMS course” unless it is a Master course you want to keep "clean"