This FAQ covers:
- How many quiz attempts do students receive?
- What counts as a quiz attempt?
- Tips for students to ensure quiz attempts are scored
- Why do students lose quiz attempts?
- How do I verify that a student has lost an attempt?
- How do I give a student an additional attempt?
How many quiz attempts do students receive?
All students have 2 attempts on each summative quiz. You may choose to grant additional quiz attempts by following the steps below under “How do I give students additional quiz attempts?”
What counts as a quiz attempt?
The quiz is not scored, however, until the student submits his or her final answers and views his or her results. If the student leaves the quiz before viewing final results, the student will not receive a score but will “lose” the attempt.
Tips for students to ensure quiz attempts are scored
To avoid “losing” attempts, students should follow these tips:
- DO complete the quiz in one sitting.
- DO make sure to have a strong internet connection when taking quizzes – especially when pressing the “submit” button.
- Use ONLY the quiz navigation controls inside the quiz iframe while taking the quiz:
- Use the buttons “Next” and “Previous” to record an answer and move between questions.
- Use the “Progress” drop-down menu at the top to jump between questions. When jumping between questions, don’t forget that you still need to press “Next” after selecting your answer to ensure it is recorded.
- Use the “Submit” button to submit answers and view results. The “Submit” button appears only after answering the last question.
- Do NOT leave the quiz before viewing results:
- Do NOT use any other navigation controls
- Do NOT close your browser tab
- Do NOT refresh your browser
- DO wait patiently for results to load; results usually load in under one second but can twenty seconds or more at times
- If you accidentally do any of the above, you will receive a warning message. DO pay attention to it and select “Stay on this page” to remain on the quiz and finish it
Why do students lose quiz attempts?
Students will lose quiz attempts if any of the following occur during the student’s quiz attempt:
- The student navigates away from the quiz in spite of the warning messages.
- The student’s internet connection drops or freezes, especially when they press the “submit” button.
- The quiz tool freezes.
- The student’s browser or device shuts down or restarts.
If a student loses an attempt and none of the reasons above apply, there may be a technical issue. In this case, please report the issue to Lumen's support team.
How do I verify that a student has lost an attempt?
First, navigate to the quiz start page:
- In Canvas, go to Modules, then to the specific module in which the quiz in question is located, then click on the link to access the quiz. In this screenshot, for example, you would click on “Economic Environment.”
- In D2L, go to Content, then to the specific module in which the quiz in question is located, then click on the link to access the quiz. In this screenshot, for example, you would click on “Quiz: Economic Environment.”
- In Blackboard, go to the Folder that contains the courseware, then navigate to the specific folder in which the quiz in question is located, then click on the quiz link. In this screenshot, for example, you would click on “Quiz: Economic Environment.”
- Search for a student by scrolling or typing the student’s name in the “Filter by student name” box at the top.
- Verify the number of scored attempts by looking at the “Attempts” column. Every scored attempt will appear with a percentage score, such as “Score: 75%.”
- Verify the number of attempts remaining by looking at the “Attempts Remaining” column. This column will read “2” if the student has not yet used any attempts, “1” if the student has used only 1 attempt, and “0” if the student has used both attempts.
- If the total number of scored attempts plus attempts remaining is less than 2, then the student has “lost” an attempt for one of the reasons mentioned above. In the screenshot above, the last student in the list has lost an attempt because there are zero scored attempts and only 1 attempt remaining.
How do I give a student an additional attempt?
Follow the instructions above to access the “Manage Quiz Attempts” page and locate a specific student’s record.
Then, use the “Actions” column to grant additional attempts:
- Press the “Grant 1 attempt” button to grant 1 additional attempt. This button will only appear if the student has used at least 1 quiz attempt. The “Attempts Remaining” column will immediately show 1 additional attempt remaining.
- Press the “Grant 2 attempts” button to grant 2 additional attempts. This button will appear if the student has used 2 quiz attempts. The “Attempts Remaining” column will immediately show 2 additional attempts remaining.
- If the student already has 2 attempts remaining, no buttons will appear in the “Actions” column.